You do not need to have a local connection to join Newcastle Homes, but your local connection will affect the priority band that you are awarded. If you do not have a local connection, you will only be awarded Band D - Low Housing Need. You can find out more about priority bands on the priority bands page.
We will consider you to have a local connection, to Newcastle if you or your partner have:
- Lived in Newcastle for six months in the last year. This does not include those whose only residence in the city is because of time spent living in a hospital or hostel accommodation.
- Lived in Newcastle for three years in the last five years. This does not include those whose only residence in the city is because of time spent living in a hospital or hostel accommodation.
- Been employed in non-casual employment or be training in Newcastle.
- Have close family living in Newcastle, such as a parent or sibling.
- Relatives or social networks in Newcastle that will provide support or care to needs.
- Served in the armed forces but previously lived in Newcastle or have been discharged from the armed forces in the last five years.
- Other special circumstances.
If there are exceptional circumstances and there is an urgent need for housing, we may disregard the need for a local connection and consider you for a higher priority band.