What is a mutual exchange?

Mutual exchange is a housing option that is available to current secure council tenants and most housing association tenants and allows households to 'swap' homes.

Who can apply for a mutual exchange?

Mutual exchange is only available to tenants with certain types of tenancies, but it does include secure council tenancies and fully assured housing association tenancies. You cannot swap your home if you are an introductory tenant and you cannot swap your home for one that is empty. 

If you aren't sure what type of tenancy you have or if you have the right to a mutual exchange you can check with your landlord.

Make sure you know the type of tenancy you will be taking on, as there are differences between a council tenancy and a housing association tenancy.


How do I find another tenant to swap with?

Newcastle Homes has partnered with House Exchange to give you the opportunity to advertise your home and view homes available from applicants across the UK.

The local authorities and landlords listed below, have entered into a partnership, Tyneside Partnership, to provide House Exchange to its tenants. Properties advertised under this partnership will appear with the logo below which replaces the Tyne and Wear Homes logo that was used previously.

  • Gateshead Borough Council
  • Newcastle City Council
  • North Tyneside Council
  • South Tyneside Council
  • Bernicia Homes - Tyne & Wear
  • Byker Community Trust
  • Home Group - Tyne & Wear
  • Housing 21 - Tyne & Wear
  • Karbon Homes - Tyne & Wear
  • Keelman Homes - Tyne & Wear
  • Leazes Homes - Tyne & Wear

While we would recommend that tenants use House Exchange to identify a suitable property there are other ways in which you can do this, such as:

  • Facebook groups
  • Word of mouth
  • Other mutual exchange websites such as HomeSwapper, however you will need to pay for these services yourself.

It is illegal for you or the other tenant to charge a fee as part of the tenancy exchange. You could be evicted if you charge or receive any money to swap your home.

What do I need to do?

When you find an exchange partner, you must contact your landlord to seek permission for the mutual exchange to proceed. In some cases, we may set certain conditions before giving permission for the exchange. These may include:

  • Clearing your rent account if you are in arrears
  • Repairing any damage you may have caused to your home
  • Not allowing exchanges where the home will be too large or too small for the proposed tenant
  • Not allowing exchanges where the home has been adapted and the proposed tenant does not require an adapted home

Do not carry out any exchange until you have received permission from your Landlord and all the relevant paperwork has been signed.


You can find more information about House Exchange on the next page and by clicking here