To be able to assess what priority band you should be placed in you will need to provide us with supporting information. Examples of the types of supporting information that we may require, can be found on the Supporting Information page. You can upload documents by following the instructions in the How to Upload Documents, by email to or you provide them in person to us at one of these Community Hubs

Priority Bands

When you bid for a property, your details will be included in a shortlist which will include other applicants. In most cases, the property will be offered to the person who has the highest need. 

We assess people's housing need and award a priority banding using the criteria listed below. If your circumstances meet the criteria, you will be awarded the relevant priority band.

The highest priority award is Band A and the lowest is Band D. 

You can find more information about this in NCC's Allocations and Lettings policy.


Band A – Immediate and exceptional need or at risk of serious harm

  • Emergency rehousing is required for medical reasons.
  • You are at risk of immediate and serious harm.
  • Approved homeless cases in temporary accommodation where there is an urgent need to free up accommodation.
  • Your home is made uninhabitable due to fire flood or other such emergency.


Band B – Urgent need

  • You are a serving or former member of the armed forces or reserve forces who has an urgent need to move because of a serious injury, medical condition, or disability as a result of your service.
  • You are a serving or former member of the armed forces or reserve forces who has an urgent need to move.
  • You are a bereaved spouse or civil partner of a member of the armed forces leaving family accommodation following the death of your spouse or civil partner.
  • You have a severe disability or health ground.
  • You are experiencing domestic violence or abuse including controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour.
  • You are experiencing harassment amounting to violence or threats of violence.
  • You are homeless and the council has a legal duty to house you.
  • Your home is subject to major building work or will be demolished as part of a regeneration scheme.
  • You are occupying housing that is unsatisfactory because it is insanitary or statutorily overcrowded.
  • You would suffer hardship if you could not move to a particular area.
  • Housing you would enable better use to be made of social housing.
  • You have welfare needs because you require significant ongoing care and support.
  • You are a council tenant who has good tenant status.
  • You are a foster carer who may or may not have a child living with you at the moment but need to move to be able/continue to foster or you have child protection issues which necessitate an urgent need for housing i.e., failure to find a housing solution would result in the child being cared for by the council (your case will need to be supported by Social Services).


Band C – Medium housing need

  • You have been accepted as homeless but are not priority under the legislation.
  • You have been accepted by the council as homeless and priority, but you have been found to be intentionally homeless.
  • You are a young person leaving care.
  • You need to move on from supported accommodation to help maintain a pathway to independence.
  • You are overcrowded.
  • You have a disability or health condition, and your current home is having some impact on this.
  • You share facilities with another household.
  • You lack basic facilities, or your home is in serious disrepair.
  • You need to move due to a relationship breakdown.
  • You need to move for employment, education, or training reasons, such as return from service in the armed forces.
  • You have a welfare need because you provide or receive some care and support.
  • Your household is forced to live apart.
  • You live in housing that is linked to your job and you have retired or been made redundant, and your property is required for the new employee.
  • You are suffering financial hardship and cannot meet the cost of providing your home.


Band D – Low housing need

  • You have no recognised housing need in Band A, B or C.
  • You have no local connection with the city.
  • You have accommodation available to you that meets your housing needs.