For your application to be assessed you will need to provide the supporting information listed below.

One document may satisfy most requirements listed below e.g. a benefit agency letter dated within the last 3 months. where possible, will act as proof of national insurance number, proof of residence and proof of identification.

Proof of National Insurance Number

You will need to provide proof of national insurance number for both the main and joint applicants.

  • Benefit agency letter
  • National insurance card

It will help if you can include on your application the national insurance number for all household members over 16 years of age.

Proof of Identification

You will need to provide proof of identification for both the main and joint applicants:

  • Current full passport
  • Current UK or EEA photo card driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Armed forces ID card
  • Current Residence permit issued by Home Office for EU nationals

If you are unable to provide the above we will accept:

  • Benefit agency letter
  • Current full UK paper style driving licence (paper stlye provisional licence is not accepted)
  • Current blue disabled driver badge
  • Current inland revenue notification/ tax assessment
  • Birth certificate


  • An acceptable recent photo of yourself
  • A photo taken by ourselves
Immigration Status Check

You will need to provide us with proof that you are not subject to immigration control. Please see the Immigration Status Check page for more information.

Proof of Residence

You will need to provide proof of residence for ALL household members, including those living with you but not moving with you, these documents should be dated within the last 3 months; if possible.

  • Benefit agency letter
  • Current UK or EEA photo card driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Recent bank/building society statement
  • Recent council tax bill
  • Recent utility bill (gas/electric/water/cable TV) – not mobile phone bill
  • Child tax credit award letter
  • Child benefit award letter
Landlord Reference

You will need to provide one reference from your current or previous landlord if you have one.

References from family and friends will not be accepted.  If you are unable to provide a landlord reference we may consider accepting;

  • Proof of rent payments e.g. bank statement (dated within the last 3 months)
  • Letter from a support worker
  • Most recent housing benefit statement

Your application will not be accepted unless you submit all the supporting information that we ask for.

Additional Documents Depending on your Circumstances
  • Proof of pregnancy (MATB1 form) if any member of your household is pregnant
  • Proof of access arrangements where dependent children are not living with you
  • Proof of employment (dated within the last 3 months) 
  • Armed forces discharge papers 
Supporting Evidence for Priority Bandings

To be considered for priority banding, additional supporting information will be required so that we can fully understand your housing needs.

We need to understand why your current property is unsuitable and why a move to an different property would improve the issues that you are experiencing. 

Examples of supporting information that may assist us are:

  • A letter from a medical professional that confirm any health problems or disabilities.
  • Supporting information from a social worker, support worker, the Police or a probation officer.
  • Confirmation of any disrepair issues from Environmental Health or other professional party.


How to Provide Supporting Information to Us

You can upload documents by following the instructions in the How to Upload Documents.

You can also provide them through the contact methods provided on the Contact Us page.

In person by calling into one of Newcastle City Council's Community Hubs

If you decide to post documents please only send copies as we cannot guarantee that originals will be returned to you.